Fun Cake Facts to make you chuckle 🙂
1. The term ‘cupcake’ was originally used in the late 19th century for cakes made from ingredients measured by the cupful.
2. The proverb ‘you can’t have your cake and eat it’ first appears as early as the 16th century, however, the proverb ‘a piece of cake’ was not coined until the 20th century and is possibly related to the cakewalk competition.
3. The meaning of ‘cake’ has changed over time, and the first cake was:
‘A comparatively small flattened sort of bread, round, oval, or otherwise regularly shaped, and usually baked hard on both sides by being turned during the process.’
4. Birthdays used to be celebrated quite differently, as the first birthday cake was originally a cake given as an offering on a person’s birthday.
5. The French word for cake – gâteau, – entered the English language in the 19th century and was often used to refer to a savoury dish that included meat. …. Huh?
6. Cheese cake was believed to have been made since the bygone era. They were also given to the athletes at the first Olympic Games.
7. In the 17th century, people in England thought that if you were single and put a fruit cake under your pillow, you would have sweet dreams about your fiancee. —- Hmm worth a try!
8. Red Velvet Cake Recipe was an act of revenge – one of the interesting cake facts about Red Velvet is that this recipe was known to the public for revenge. A lady ate a red velvet cake in the restaurant and liked it quite a lot. She asked the restaurant for the recipe and they charged $100 for the same. She became enraged and widely circulated the recipe for revenge.
9. The National cake day is celebrated on November 26th.
10. Google declared the fastest-growing recipe search is for cupcakes, a testament to the continuing popularity of this irresistible treat.
11. Patrick Bertoletti “deep dish” a competitive eater from Chicago made a world record in 2012 for eating 72 cupcakes in six minutes.